Honey Oats Bread

You know quite well by now, I love food. I have a special love for baking and trying our new recipes. I don't claim to be an expert, I have had my share of failures in the kitchen as well! After years of cooking and baking, I must say the number of failures has drastically reduced. There are occasions when I even surprise myself, just like I did this weekend when I decided to bake a bread for a change. 

Now I must tell you that I am not very competent at this bread baking business and it continues to hold somewhat of a mystical charm for me to be able to see that loaf baking in my oven. Needless to say that the fact that my home smelled amazing was just an added incentive.

And after all the arduous kneading and patient waiting, I was quite proud of the results.

Don't believe me? Take a look yourself!

How does this look?



and this...


As always, I am sharing the recipe below.

Ingredients

3 cups flour
1 cup oats + extra for sprinkling on top (I used instant oats and it worked just fine)
2 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast (2-1/4 tsp )
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of honey + extra for brushing on top
3 tbs of unsalted butter, melted (you can also use vegetable oil)
1 1/3 cup warm water 
1/3 cup milk powder

PS: I also sprinkled some flax seeds and sunflower seeds on top of the loaf before baking. It is completely fine to omit if you don't like them or don't have them


How to




Mix together the water, honey, butter and yeast in a bowl. Set it aside for a few minutes until the mixture is frothy on the surface. This process is called activating the yeast.
In a large bowl add flour, milk powder, oats, salt, and the activated yeast mixture. Mix together with a spatula for a few minutes until it just comes together into a loose dough.

Sprinkle some flour on your clean kitchen counter and turn the dough onto it. Knead until the dough is nice and smooth. 

Lightly grease a large bowl and place the dough brushing the top with a little oil. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and keep it aside in a warm spot.


Let the dough rise for about two hours or until it is doubled in size.
Take the risen dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for a minute. Form it into a loaf, place it in a greased loaf pan. Cover the pan with a kitchen towel and let it rise until it doubles once again.

Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius, brush the top of the bread with honey and sprinkle the oats all over the top. 


Bake your bread for around 40 minutes until lightly golden brown. 



Cool completely before slicing.

Comments

Popular Posts