Bruschetta two ways - Tomato and Mushroom

I am yet to meet someone who does not like Italian food. 

Well...this is not entirely true 'coz my dad does not, but then he is not really into any cuisine except Indian. I believe I inherit my fickle palate from my mom - both of us crave variety in our food and more than welcome any and every chance to indulge.

I am indeed fortunate to have people around me who appreciate good food. In fact my love for cooking dates back to as far as I can remember. Quite a few things have changed since then - I probably have moved over my obsession with pizza as the only Italian food I knew to having dabbled with other quintessential Italian food as well.

Bruschetta for me remains the go to quick fix recipe for the times when I have to look smarter than I am. Bruschetta gives me a chance to notch up the game by a level as compared to the garlic breads.  

In fact it won't be an exaggeration to say that bruschetta is as much a treat to the eye as the tongue.




I am sharing here the recipes for two versions of bruschetta - one with tomato and the other using mushrooms. The one with tomato is a slight modification to the classic recipe. I prefer cooked tomatoes to the raw ones and added a little green bell pepper to the topping as well for an extra kick. 

Tomato Bruschetta




Ingredients

Bread cut into slices ( I could not find a baguette. Used a submarine sandwich roll and cut into slices at an angle to give a larger surface for spreading the topping)
2 tomatoes - blanched and skin and seeds removed.
3-4 tsp green bell peppers chopped
2 large cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 tsp olive oil
2 tbs grated cheese
A pinch of black pepper 
Italian seasoning to taste (substitute with a mix of oregano, garlic powder and chili flakes)
Salt

How to

In a pan heat the olive oil and add the garlic. Saute.

Once the garlic begins to turn translucent and releases its aorma, add the chopped tomatoes and green bell pepper.

Toss for two minutes and season with salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning. 

Saute for another two minutes. 

Remove from heat and keep aside.

Toast the bread (I used an oven) till evenly golden brown. 

Spread the tomato mixture on the bread. 

Sprinkle with a touch of grated cheese on top and grill in an oven till the cheese begins to melt. 


Mushroom Bruschetta




Ingredients

Bread cut into slices 
10-12 medium sized mushrooms sliced
2 large cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 tsp olive oil
5-6 tbs grated cheese
A pinch of black pepper 
Italian seasoning to taste (substitute with a mix of oregano, garlic powder and chili flakes)
Salt

How to

In a pan heat the olive oil and add the garlic. Saute.

Once the garlic begins to turn translucent and releases its aorma, add the mushrooms.

Toss for two minutes and season with salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning. 

Saute till the mushrooms are cooked.

Remove from heat and keep aside.

Toast the bread till evenly golden brown. 

Spread the mushroom mixture on the bread. 

Sprinkle with a generous amount of grated cheese on top and grill in an oven till the cheese begins to melt. 




To complete the dinner menu, I also made pasta in white sauce for the mains.

Tips: If you do not have an oven, toast the bread on a pan over the gas stove. Sprinkle cheese while the topping is still hot and the cheese will melt without the need for an oven.

I would like to hear from you. Please leave behind a comment on your thoughts about the blog, the recipes I share and any other recipe requests that you may have. 

Will be back soon !

Comments

  1. I'm definitely going to try the mushroom one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do ! and don't forget to tell me how they turned out Shivi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts