Red Velvet Cupcakes with Beetroots

There is something about the red velvet cake that is truly mesmerizing and the more I think about it I realise that most of the magic lies in the luxurious red colour. If you read through the recipe you will see that it is just a basic moist chocolate cake. But as soon as I add that dash of red, the basic chocolate cake is transformed into the most decadent of the cakes - so much for not judging something by the looks. 



I guess we are inherently programmed to look for beauty ... even in cupcakes !

Philosophy aside - I must admit I have been wanting to bake these particular cupcakes for a while and the only thing that was stopping me was that I could not find that red food color that all recipes called for.

But as they say - necessity is the mother of all inventions. 

There had to be a better way - and it struck me that I could use beetroots to colour the cake batter red. It's a perfect solution - beetroots are healthy, delicious and natural. Keeping the chemicals out of food is any day a better choice. 

I was skeptical about the colour I will obtain - I was not sure if it will be vibrant and deep red as a red velvet should be, but after trying out the recipe, all my doubts dissipated in thin air.

What's more - these are eggless too :)



Ingredients

For the cup cake

3/4 cup pureed beetroots (boil the beets and then puree them into a fine paste)
1/3 cup oil
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tbs cocoa powder
1 cup milk

For the icing

2 tbs salted butter
4 tbs icing sugar
Zest of one lemon
Juice of half a lemon

How to

Sift together the cocoa, salt, flour and baking powder and keep aside

In a large bowl mix together the oil and beetroot puree and whisk together till it is well incorporated

Next add sugar and vanilla extract into the beetroot mixture and whisk till it is well incorporated

Gently fold in the flour mixture and milk, alternating between the two

Pour the batter into cupcake moulds till they are 3/4 full

Bake in  a pre-heated oven at 200 degree Celsius for 20 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean

Cool on a wire rack.



Meanwhile prepare the butter cream by whisking together all the ingredients> I did not use an electric mixer - it came out more like a frosting but worked just perfectly for me.

Finally, spread the butter cream frosting on top of the cupcakes.


Quick tip - I covered the cupcakes with an aluminium foil to slow the cooking on top. I finally managed to get a flat surface on the top of the cupcakes just like we get at the bakery !!! FINALLY !!!

Comments

  1. Great recipe Nikita ! I like the way you have given it your personal touch ! Sounds healthy and looks delicious ! Will try soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Shilpa, please try them out
      Let me know how you like them

      Delete
  2. Hi Nikita, looks good. I have been thinking of cup cakes but somehow didnt try yet. Seeing these i have decided to use your recipie. Will keep you posted ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Praveen
      I hope you do try them out and let me know how they turn out
      Keep baking !

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts