Beetroot Pachadi

I got this recipe while leafing through the Good Food magazine. I had earmarked it as I was drawn to its vibrant colour. Yes I will admit it, on the risk of sounding silly, that is the only reason...




So much so that I put aside my general aversion to anything that has coconut in the curry. I somehow associate coconuts with desserts - like the Coconut Laddus I posted earlier.

I am told this particular beetroot curry is made on the occasion of Onam and forms a part of a traditional vegetarian thali in Kerela...best eaten with steamed rice (in my case steamed brown rice)

I quite liked the flavour. It seems like coconuts and I have turned over a new leaf ... cheers to the new found friendship...




Make sure you try this out in your kitchen - if not for the taste then for the colour (like I did) and you will not be disappointed.


Ingredients

Beetroot washed, peeled and grated
1/2 Coconut grated (use fresh coconut preferably)
4 green chillies finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 1/2 tbs mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup curd
1 tbs oil
2 dried red chillies
6-8 curry leaves

How to

In a pan cook the grated beetroot with turmeric powder, salt and a cup pf water.

In the meantime, grind the coconut, green chilies, 1 tbs mustard seeds and cumin seeds into a fine paste.

In another bowl, mix the curd with a little water and keep aside.

When the beetroot is cooked add the coconut paste to it and cook till all the water dried out completely.

Reduce the flame and add the curd to the pan and combine well.

Simmer on low flame till it starts to bubble and remove from heat.

In another pan, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds till they begin to splutter.
Add the cumin, red chillies and curry leaves. Add to the beetroot mixture.




Serve with rice.

Comments

Popular Posts