Vegetable lentil burgers with home-made whole wheat buns

I love burgers - I mean who doesn't ! But at times the whole carbs and fats thing gets me into an overdrive of guilt. Another aspect of eating a veggie burger at a restaurant is that the patty is so boring - there is nothing going on except potatoes and some pale looking herbs that are deep fried till crisp and golden. In fact, its the crisp and golden that keeps me coming back to them 'coz the potatoes don't pack much punch if you ask me.

Also, when I compare the veggie burgers to their meaty cousins I feel they are not substantial enough - don't keep me full for long. I have dabbled with various variations of the burger patty - there are endless possibilities and I feel I have only begun to explore them.




For this particular burger I also baked some whole wheat buns - try them if you want - store bought are just as fine !

As for me, I was just enjoying cooking from scratch

Ingredients

Makes 6-7 patties

1/2 cup boiled red lentils (masoor dal)
2 medium potatoes (boiled and mashed)
1/2 beet (grated)
2 small carrots (grated)
1/4 cup green peas (boiled)
4-5 tbs chopped coriander leaves 
2 tsp green chillies finely chopped
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp red pepper powder
1/4 cup bread crumbs for binding
Semolina for coating
Salt to taste 
Burger buns
Onion slices
Tomato slices
Cucumber slices
Ketchup / mustard (as much as you like)
Oil for frying

How to

In a pan dry roast the fennel and cumin seeds until fragrant. Blitz into a fine powder and keep aside.

In a mixing bowl, mix together the boiled lentils, mashed potato, beets, carrots, peas, coriander and green chillies along with the pepper powder and cumin and fennel powder.

Mix in the bread crumbs enough to hold everything together. Now is the time to fix the seasoning and add the salt.

Mix everything thoroughly together and form into round patties.

Cover in semolina.




In a pan, heat some oil. Once hot shallow fry the patties until crisp on the outside.

Now for arranging the burgers, cut the bun into two.

Spread some ketchup on the lower half and mustard on the upper half.

Lay down a few slices of tomato and onion on the bottom followed by the vegetable patty.

Now add a few final slices of cucumber and top with the remaining part of the bun.




The super healthy and very easy vegetable burger is ready - I think I will make it again very soon. Not only 'coz its healthy but also because it tastes wonderful.

Comments

Popular Posts