Banana Bread with Chocolate and Coconut

There can be nothing wrong with a simple banana bread and that is exactly what I had intended initially. After reading quite a few recipes and watching a couple of videos I decided to step it up a notch by adding a flavoursome twist to the good old banana bread - with some dark chocolate ... Coconut was actually an afterthought ... and a delightful addition I must say!




Summers are knocking on our doors already - in fact I feel as if we have skipped spring completely this year and jumped headlong into the scorching tropical summers. And when I decide to spend a hot summer day at home I usually end up baking. 

The whole process is so therapeutic and all encompassing. In guess I can't bake until I am so engrossed in the process that I forget everything else. I sit by the oven, book in hand, checking it ever so often and just soaking in the warm and delicious smells. If any of you bakes, you would know exactly what I am talking about. 

I don't think anyone can cook or bake in a foul mood - well I guess one can - but I am almost certain the food will taste the same - foul. For me it goes an extra mile and I cook to cure a foul mood :P

I digress...

I wasn't in a foul mood when I set out to bake this bread :)

I generally take a recipe and make it my own. Add a few things here and there and omit something I don't have at hand. Over time I have kind of developed a sense of what works and what doesn't. For all those who are not quite sure or want to get it right the first time - I will advise following the recipes verbatim. Baking is about precision and patience. Precision is where a recipe can help ... As for patience, I am not quite the right person to comment ( anyone who knows me will agree )

INGREDIENTS 




2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup grated dry coconut
1/2 cup chocolate chips ( I used dark chocolate )
3/4 cup brown sugar ( use ordinary sugar  if brown sugar is unavailable )
1/4 cup vegetable oil ( or normal olive oil not extra virgin )
3 ripe mashed bananas ( medium sized )
1.5 tsp baking soda 
Pinch of salt 

HOW TO

Prepare a loaf tin and keep aside. I lined it with parchment paper only ( no oil, no butter, no flour)

In a large mixing bowl mix the mashed bananas with oil and whisk together. I used a hand whisk. 



Crack the eggs one at a time into the banana mixture along with the vanilla extract and whisk together.

Once you get a smooth mixture, add the sugar and a pinch of salt and mix till everything is incorporated and smooth and light in texture. This will take approx. five minutes with a hand whisk.

Dump in the chocolate chips, coconut and baking powder into the batter and mix using a wooden spoon. 

Last, fold in the all purpose flour and the wheat flour into the mixture very gently till it is just mixed. Don't overdo unless you want a very dense loaf - and trust me you don't want a dense loaf.




Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake in a preheated oven at 175 degree Celcius for 60 mins till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool...slice...eat




Yummmmm

Tip: Use both the coils when preheating an oven.

While baking, use only the lower coil. 

During the last ten mins, turn on the upper coil as well. This helps get a nice brown crust.

Comments

Popular Posts