When I diet I eat this APPLE CRUMBLE

What comes to your mind when I talk of apple and oats ? It sounds pretty bland to me - more like diet food to be honest.

But I decided to pitch myself against these two ingredients in a bid to come up with something interesting to the palate yet good enough to make it to any dieters plate! 

I firmly believe that the secret of healthy eating lies in moderation not starvation. It's about the discipline to know what to eat, when to eat and how much to eat. So long as I can enforce this self discipline on myself, I go out and indulge my palate. 


Again there are times when I feel like eating too much dessert ( which happens  frequently enought to keep this blog going ! ) On such occasions I make sure I get my ingredients correct. 

This recipe of apple crumble is delicious with warm notes of cinnamon and a whole lot of tang infused by the liberal use of lemon juice. It's a perfect companion for the nights alone at home - when all I want to do is tuck into my bed with a good book in one hand and guiltless spoonful of yum in the other !



INGREDIENTS

2 large firm apples (preferably Granny Smith) peeled and diced into one inch squares 
2 tbs sugar
1 tbs lemon juice
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbs butter ( just out of the refrigerator )
4 tbs oats ( I used multigrain oats I came across in the supermarket)
2 tbs flour

HOW TO

Mix together the oats, four, butter, and half the cinnamon using your fingers and keep aside.

Heat a pan on medium heat and tip in the apples, lemon juice, sugar, salt and cinnamon into it. Cook for five minutes till the apples are partially cooked.

In a baking dish, gently spread the apple mixture and top with the crumble mixture prepared earlier.

Don't press the mixture on top as we want it to be light and crumbly and not stiff.



Bake in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes till the top becomes golden.

Serve warm !!!

Comments

Popular Posts