Boozy Truffles

A lot of my blog posts are centered around desserts - but though this might come as a bit of a surprise, I am not really into desserts. Most of what I make is not for my own consumption. I like to see people enjoy their cakes and cookies - but can't quite get my head around the oohhhsss and aahhhsss that follow each bite. 

I guess I am so satiated with the sugar, butter and chocolate throughout the preparation phase that when it comes to tasting - I feel as if I have already had my full. It's like saying "I have had my turn. It's urs now"

But with every rule there are exceptions. And these rum and raisin truffles are just those - EXCEPTIONAL 


                                       


They are pretty basic to make, the ingredient list is small and very intuitive... But don't get deceived by the simplicity of the ingredients as they are a product of immense love and patience. It's almost drudgery but the upside is that you will find yourself immersed in chocolate - and I mean it literally ! 

Having made them I can proudly proclaim: Yes I have almost negligible patience on most occasions and tend to be a little hyper active - but I am also capable of some serious TLC 

So here is what you will need:

INGREDIENTS 
200 gms dark chocolate (broken into small pieces or use chocolate chips/buttons)
200 ml cream
1/2 cup raisins
100 ml rum (yayyyy!)

Also needed some melted dark chocolate to dip the truffles into, at the end. Alternatively, you could try rolling them in cocoa powder. 

HOW TO

In a pan mix together the rum and raisins and heat gently on a low flame, until the rum begins to bubble vigourously. Remove from heat and let it cool.


                                        



In a double boiler melt together the dark
chocolate and cream to form a smooth mixture. This is the ganache. 


                                   



Tip in the rum and raisin mix into the ganache and stir together. Refrigerate for a couple of hours at least. You want the mixture to be solid enough to work with.

Spoon out a small portion of the the cooled truffle mixture into your palms and  make small balls. You might try using an ice- cream scoop if you want. I was too happy messing my hands with all the chocolate to use a scoop :D 

Cool the truffles again for another 20 minutes.

Melt some chocolate over a double boiler and dip the truffles into it one at a time.

I used a fork to hold the truffles while I dipped it into the melted chocolate. 

If you are still high on ambition and energy - drizzle melted white chocolate on top. They look prettier - and that counts !

Store them in the refrigerator so that they don't melt  - it is a huge risk given the weather we have in India :( Also it is equally essential to keep them out of sight - lest you eat up all your hard work a little too soon. 

I enjoy them best with a cup of coffee 



                          


Handy tips:

1. Don't hassle yourself with trying to get it done all at the same time. I made mine over two days. After all cooking is supposed to be fun  !!

2. Don't be too greedy and eat them all too soon - they taste better after a couple of days. The rum and raisins really come through magnificently. 

Have a happy day ahead - will be back soon 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts