Gulab Jamun - simply irresistable

I would not categorise myself as having a sweet tooth - infact there are very few desserts that I would indulge in - and without doubt Gulab Jamun tops the list. Although I know it is not advisable to hog on them frequently - but once in a while is fine I guess. Sometimes its good to go over board and unrestrained - kind of syncs with my philosophy in life !



Ingredients 

1.5 cups khoya
1/4 cup chhena
1/4 tsp soda bicarbonate
4 tbs refined flour
1/4 tsp green cardamom powder
Oil / ghee to fry
Sugar Syrup: equal portions of sugar and water brought to a boil. Add a dash of rose water to the syrup to end. Keep asise to cool.

Method:

Grate the khoya and chhena together till smooth. Mix with refined flour, green cardamom powder, soda-bicarb to make a dough. You can add a little water to make a soft dough.

Shape into small balls and deep fry in oil/ghee at low heat till golden brown.

Soak in sugar syrup for a couple of hours till the syrup seeps through.

You can also stuff them with chopped blanched pistachios, cardamom and saffron for a more exotic version - for me they are exotic enough in themselves.

It is advisable to eat them carefully and not go overboard- but if I were you,I would not be paying any heed to my advise. They are too irresistable to stop - as they say - once is not enough !!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts