Yummilicious Chhole

There are days when I wake up already decided on what I want to eat for dinner or lunch. Yesterday was one such day, I was absolutely craving chhole ( indian chickpea curry). Since they require soaking, I decided to make them for dinner. It was such a test of my patience - I went to check on them at least a dozen times during the day but eventually had to wait out till dinner time. 

I can have chhole for any meal - breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. Ironically it has been quite a while since I actually got down to cooking them. I generally make them quite spicy and make sure that there are the bhaturas to go along with them.

Yesterday was an exception though - I did not want to make them very spicy but I used a lot of whole spices for the delicate aroma and flavour.

Also, I did not want to have the bhaturas  - I have no idea why I did not feel like having them - something to do with too much oil I guess. Still trying to figure out ;)

This is a simple and quick recipe that I generally follow - not too spicy but very flavoursome.

Chhloe ( Chickpea Curry)



2 cup boiled chickpeas (boiled with a little salt)
2 medium onions
1 large tomato
2 green chillies
1 inch piece of ginger
7-8 cloves of garlic
1 bunch coriander leaves
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 black cardamom
2-3 bay leaves
10-12 black peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 cloves
1 small piece cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red pepper powder
2 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
Oil

Heat around 2 tbs oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds. Once the cumin begins to crackle, add the asafoetida, bay leaves and other whole spices.

Saute the spices on low heat till they begin to release their aroma.

Make a paste of onion, tomato, ginger, green chilli and garlic. Add this paste to the whole spices in the pan.

Add the turmeric, salt, red pepper and garam masala powder. Saute till the spices are well cooked and the oil separates.

Add the chickpeas and mix well. Add around 2 cups of water. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, till the chickpeas mix well with the masala.


Alternatively you can pressure cook for 5-10 minutes (2 whistles). Mix in the coriander leaves.

Serve with bhatura , kulcha or steamed rice. Tastes amazing either way !

Comments

Popular Posts