Birthday Cooking - Spicy Rajma and much more

Its winter and its getting colder by the day. I generally prefer winters to summers - but I must admit, its a little too cold for my liking. I have been practically confined to my home indulging in cup after cup of hot tea laden with ginger. 

But with Christmas around the corner - cold is what we want. Wonderful wonderful weather ... and birthdays to add to the festivities that are already in the air.

It is my dad's birthday today - and a reason for me to take on a birthday cooking marathon :) Generally on birthdays we go out for dinners but since my dad prefers home cooked meals and his appetite falls to a fraction when we eat out I decided to make a nice birthday dinner at home. Also, with the weather I was only too happy to stay at home and enjoy a hot dinner in the warmth of my home.



Cooked for five hours straight and my back hurt (a lot!) at the end of it.

On the menu:

Rajma Curry
Mixed Vegetable (super quick - added it to the menu on an after thought)
Rice Pulao flavoured with star anise and cloves
Chapati / Naan
Rice Kheer
Spiced Fruit cake (which is the ONLY cake my dad likes)




Since everyone loved every single thing I made - and ended up over stuffing themselves - it was well worth the effort. 

Rajma Curry (Kidney bean curry)




2 cups boiled rajma (kidney beans)
2 large tomatoes
1 medium onion
4 tbs tomato puree
2 green chillies
5-6 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece of ginger
2 bay leaves
1 tsp cumin
4 cloves
5-6 black pepper corns
1 large cardamom
1 inch piece of cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
2 tbs vegetable / mustard oil
Coriander for garnish

In a grinder, make a paste of tomato, onion, green chillie, tomato puree, ginger and garlic.

In a pan heat the oil. Add the bay leaves, cumin, cloves, pepper corns, crushed black cardamom and cinnamon. Once the whole spices begin to cook, add the tomato paste to it. Cook the mixture, till the oil separates.

Add the red chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala powder and salt. Cook.

Next add the boiled kidney beans and about a cup and a half of water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.

Garnish with coriander before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts