Spinach and Turnip Curry

Sunday lunch with family is always a grand affair - where everyone in the family pitches in.

Even my dad helped and dished out this colourful salad with everything edible and salad suitable at home from fruits to vegetables :)




By the way, I think he is a fabulous cook. I still crave the curries he makes ... I wish I could someday cook rajma curry just like him.

Keeping up with the colourful theme, I made Daal Panchmel (Lentils cooked with a combination of 5 pulses). Someone told me that the more variety one can incorporate in the colours of what one eats, the healthier the meal is. This is because the colours are specific to various food groups and points to a balanced meal.



Judging by this theory and looking at the absolutely smashing colours of the pulses, I reckon it could not have made anything healthier ... haha !

In my opinion, food is a great way for a family to bond. The preparation of the Sunday lunches has been such a family tradition in my home. We talk, chat, reminisce and plan in the kitchen all through the preparation. We have not been fussy eaters as kids and it still holds. As a family we are open to different cuisines and foods. But somehow, I don't have any recollection of eating turnip ever. This time when I was in the market I asked my mom why don't we ever eat it - apparently she loves turnips but never cooks them because we did not like them a lot as kids !!! Whoa....I have no idea what year she is taking about. In my memory I have never eaten it at all.

Anyway, there is always a first time...and this was mine with turnips. I have already bought some more - can't wait to try them again!

Here is the recipe of my mom's spinach and turnip curry - which made me a total convert.

My Mom's Spinach and Turnip Curry



250 gm turnips 
400gm spinach washed well
2 Tomatoes
3-4 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red pepper powder
Coriander to garnish
1 1/2 tbs oil
salt

Wash and peel the turnips. Cut the turnips into four parts lengthwise and slice. 

In a pan heat 1/2 tbs of oil and saute the turnips till they lose their moisture and begin to turn light golden. Take off the heat and keep aside.

In another pan, heat 1 tbs of oil and add the cumin. When it begins to crackle, add the crushed garlic cloves and chopped tomatoes. Add in the spices at this time.

Once the spices begin to cook, toss in the spinach. Add the salt (keep in mind that the spinach itself is salty and so requires lesser salt to be added to it).

Once the spinach cooks and reduces to almost half in volume, add the cooked turnips to it. Cook on low flame for some more time till the vegetables mix well together.

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.

My views on turnips have turned a corner. From being non-tolerant to turnips (according to my mom), my new philosophy is 
"Not only do they look pretty, they taste good too!"
If you too know someone who does not like turnips, this recipe is a must try. Who knows the turnips might just win the battle this time !

Comments

Popular Posts