Rice Kheer - Child's Play


Rice kheer is one of the Indian desserts that I have literally grown up eating. My earliest memories of making it date back to when I was around ten years old. 

Since both my parents used to return home from their offices in the evening, we kids had set up our own lab in the kitchen - spending our time cooking things (at times to surprise them with our culinary genius - haha - cute isn't it??). I remember how my mom used to get worried about me handling the knives and fire in the kitchen. She was positive that I will someday set the house on fire ! Luckily, I managed to remain disaster free all these years.


Everyone in my family absolutely loves it - and no matter how much kheer I make, it hardly makes it to the next day. My sister can substitute her meals with kheer. She prefers to have it warm, while I like it better cold (like chilled cold). Which means I get a smaller share, 'cause hardly anything makes its way into the refrigerator.

The kheer of my childhood used to be very simple, with just rice, milk, sugar and cardamom (if I could find it)!

Things tend to get complicated as we grow up - my rice kheer is no exception - the only reason I am not complaining is because it got tastier too!


Rice Kheer


2 1/2 cups full cream milk
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 can condensed milk
1/4 cup rice (preferably long grained rice like Basmati)
1/2 cup mixed dry fruits chopped (I used almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, raisins, charoli or chironji as we call it)
1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
1/2 cup dry fox nut (makhana)
Sugar - I don't use any additional sugar, as I find the condensed milk sweet enough. You can add in some, just in case you have a sweeter tooth :)

Soak the rice in some water and keep aside.

Mix the milk, water and condensed milk in a thick bottomed pan and bring to a slow boil. 

Add in the rice and cook for around 15 minutes. Keep stirring so that the rice does not stick to the bottom and burns.

Add the cardamom powder, dry fruits and fox nuts into the rice mixture and continue to stir. Cook on low flame for around 10-15 minutes, till the milk begins to thicken.


Remove from heat. Serve warm or chilled - as you like it !

Unlike popular belief, rice kheer is quite easy to prepare. I have been making it since I was ten years old - which means it is quite literally a child's play !!!

Comments

Popular Posts