Hot & Sour Soup

Winter is just around the corner, though at 5:30 in the morning I feel as if I am in the thick of winters already. My trainer changed my workout schedule today morning and my body is a bundle of pain right now! 

Anyway, both the reasons i.e. the chilly weather and the aching body made me crave something warm and comforting - which to me is a perfect excuse for having a bowl of soup. 

I am particularly fond of Chinese cuisine and have had hot & sour soup in restaurants so often, that I feel it has almost become a staple. At home somehow I never ventured into preparing it from scratch because there is always a pack of the ready made soup mixes that is oh-so-convenient to make. 


Today too I would have chosen the easier option, had a friend not requested for this particular recipe. I found several recipes all over the internet, but ended up making my own version of the soup, with the ingredients I had at home and the flavours like.

It tasted pretty close to the soups I have had in restaurants. Added to it the fact that I made 4 servings in hardly a teaspoon of oil - for me it is the winner hands down !




Healthy and delicious - warm and comforting - hot and sour - some of the best things in the world ladled into a bowl !

Hot and Sour Soup


2 1/2 cups water
1 tsp soya sauce
1 tbs vinegar
1 tbs chilli sauce
1 tbs tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup cabbage chopped
1/4 cup chopped bell peppers 
( I used green, red and yellow)
2 tbs carrot chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
2 tbs spring onion chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic sliced
1/2 tbs cornflour powder
1 tsp oil
Salt

* 1/4 cup boiled and shredded chicken for a non-vegetarian verison



In a pan, heat some oil and saute the mushrooms on high flame. The mushrooms should lose their moisture but not the shape. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Once the mushrooms begin to caramalise, remove from the flame and keep aside.

In another pan, heat the water, soya sauce, chilli sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Drop in the sliced garlic into the liquid and bring to a boil.

Once the mixture begins to boil, add in all the vegetables, including the mushrooms (and the chicken). Continue to cook on low flame for a couple of minutes till the vegetables just begin to cook. The veggies should retain some of the crunch.

First mix the cornflour in some cold water separately and then add it to the soup. Cook for some more time till the soup thickens. Serve hot !!!

Comments

Popular Posts