Herbed Sweet Potato Fries - Baked

Ok let me confess, I am obsessed with everything healthy. I look for healthy ways to make the normally calorie high category of food items rightly termed as junk.

I admit the normal deep fried potato fries are a delight to the palate. But considering the damage they do to the waistline I would rather keep away. My first attempt at making a healthier version was obvious - cut the fat. Which meant baking them in the oven with a very light brushing of oil - nice and guilt free !



Another experiment that I wanted to do with my oven fries was using sweet potato instead of potato. I had come across a lot of noise about sweet potato being a much healthier alternative to potato. And since I found some in the market today morning, I decided to finally give them a try.

What's so special about Sweet Potatoes???

I did some research on the internet and what I could gather is this:
" There is nothing SOOO great about the sweet potatoes that warrants the flak our good old normal potatoes are garnering. Their nutrient profile is comparable to the potaoes. However, sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index, which means that the energy/sugar from them is released slowly into the body thereby making them a better choice as compared to food high in the glycemic index (normal potatoes), which can cause a fluctuation in the blood sugar levels. Sweet potatoes are packed with Vitamin C and iron too"
Having said that, I am no doctor or nutritionist. Don't take my word to it. They taste great and that should be reason enough !!! 

Personally I love sweet potato in every which way - roasted, boiled and now even made into fries. After trying this recipe I am definite you will fall in love with them too.

Herbed Sweet Potato Fries 

2 large sweet potatoes
2 tbs fresh coriander - chopped
2 tbs fresh dill
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tbs oil
Salt
Lemon juice




Wash and peel the sweet potatoes and cut into fingers. In a bowl mix the oil, coriander, basil and dill. Add the sweet potatoes and coat them evenly in the herbs.

Place them on a cookie sheet and bake at 200 degree Celsius for 40 minutes. Turn them over after around 20 minutes to cook evenly.

Squeeze some lime juice over them before you snack.

Comments

Popular Posts