Diwali leftovers and some Pulao - yum !

Had a wonderful Diwali. I hope you did too!



Had a fun time eating sweets, lighting diyas, catching up with friends & family. Was pretty late at night by the time I hit the bed...and I do not know when I fell asleep.




I don't burst crackers because of all the pollution they cause, but nothing wrong with taking pictures ... right???




I played the photographer yesterday - literally. I was going through the snaps today morning and there are at least a hundred of them. While the pics turned out pretty fine I realised that I am not present in any of them. The photographers curse ! Next time I will be more mindful of it :(

What's the best thing about the morning after festivals ??? I do not have to struggle with the question of what to cook at all. Without fail there are leftovers that are enough to make a meal - with a few quick additions ofcourse.

Whenever I am too lazy to make an elaborate lunch, I generally end up fixing a vegetable pulao. Eveyone loves it in my family and it does not take any effort to make. 

I have shared this recipe with a lot of my friends who, like me, live away from home and have little motivation to cook their meals.

Quick Vegetable Pulao



2 cup Basmati rice - soaked
2 small potatoes cut in cubes
1/2 cup green peas
Few cloves of garlic
1 large onion sliced
1 green chilly
1 inch fresh ginger julienne
1 tsp cumin 
1 black cardamom crushed
1 stick of cinnamon
5-6 black pepper corns
2-3 bay leave
2 cloves
1 tbs Oil / ghee
1 tsp garam masala powder
Salt

In a pressure cooker, heat the oil. Add the cumin seeds. When they begin to crackle, add in the cinnamon, black pepper corns, cloves, bay leaves, black cardamom. 

When the spices begin to release the aroma, add in the garlic and ginger. Next add in the onions and fry till they begin to turn light golden. 

Next, the potatoes, green peas and chillies go in. After frying for some time add the rice. Pour some water into it, garam masala and salt. 

I have experimented a lot with the quantity of the water. Add a little more and it can spell disaster. I have reached a conclusion that water just a little above the level of rice in the cooker is always spot on. You get wonderful, fluffy and separated grains of rice each time !

The pulao should be done in about ten minutes (two whistles).

With this recipe in your repertoire, I don't think there is an excuse for ordering food from takeaways any longer which tends to be unhealthy too. Try it sometime - I know you will like it as much as my friends have.


By the way the gym is closed for three days - I am afraid I will gain a few pounds, what with all the delightful food all around.

Comments

Popular Posts