Welcome December !

So finally the first day of the last month of the year is here and what a way to begin the day with some breakfast in bed - my family sure is lucky - haha !

Kept it simple since I can't find the motivation to stand in the kitchen for long hours in the morning in winters. I would have waited for my mom to cook had I not been starving.



Everyone at my home loves Poha - the simple Indian staple breakfast that is quick to make and wonderful to taste, filling enough but not quite so - in short a perfect breakfast !

Poha

250 gm beaten rice - thick variety
1 large onion chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
10-12 curry leaves
1 green chilli chopped
1 medium potato cut into quarters and sliced 
1 tbs lemon juice
1/4 cup green peas
1/2 tsp ginger chopped
2 tbs peanuts - roasted
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red pepper powder
1 tbs oil
Salt to taste
Coriander to garnish



Wash the poha in a colander and keep aside. It should be be moist but not mashed.

In a pan, heat some oil and add the mustard seeds. Once they begin to splutter, add the curry leaves and ginger. Saute for some time and add the chopped onions and green chilli.

Add the turmeric, red pepper powder & salt and saute. Next add the potatoes and green peas. Add a little water and cover and cook for two minutes till the vegetables are cooked but retain their shape.

Add the washed poha, lemon juice, peanuts and corainder and mix well till the poha is heated through.


I like to have mine with some sev / bhujia - it's like icing on the cake :) Accompanied with my favourite cup of ginger tea, this is the perfect beginning to a winter morning.

Speaking of winters, I absolutely love this month of the year for various reasons
  • Trying to recollect all that I did throughout the year - and failing.
  • Making plans for vacation with the family - Yay ! Coming up soon :)
  • Enjoying the beautiful winter weather. 
  • Waiting for Christmas - something that has been with me since school days. I have given up hanging stockings now. Wish I still had the curiosity and wonder of a 10 year old. Somethings just can't be revived  :( Although, I might just hang the stocking this year, considering I have been a good girl all the year round.
Apart from reminiscing the past, there is also the excitement of a new year coming up just around the corner, new beginnings and new plans - for my part I plan to bake a lot !

Comments

Popular Posts