Pyaz ki Kachori

Winters are the time to indulge in good food - hot, steaming and spicy !

Last night I was almost prepared to skip the dinner unless it was something tasty (that's always the catch with me). I can't resist good food - even if I only take a bite but I absolutely must taste it...

I generally have dinner somewhere between 8:00 - 8:30. However I was not quite hungry, but skipping dinner time means mid night snacking, which makes me drown in an ocean of guilt the next day - so I decided to eat a 'little' at least - turns out I can overeat (massively) when it's something I loooveeee ;)



But I am not blaming myself for indulging into these drool-worthy kachoris ! After all how much temptation can one resist.

It was the first time I was trying them at home - and they turned out just fine. Planning to make them sometime again... soon.

Pyaz ki Kachori



For the dough:
2 cups wheat flour
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp salt

For the filling:
4 medium onions slices
2 tbs gram flour (besan)
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander seeds crushed
1 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric 
Pinch of asafoetida
Oil for frying
Salt to taste

Make a soft dough with the wheat flour, oil, salt and water. Keep aside.

In a an heat 1 tbs of vegetable oil. Add the cumin, crushed coriander seeds, fennel seeds, asafoetida and the nigella seeds to the oil. Once the spices are cooked and aromatic.

Add the onions to the spices and saute till they lose their moisture and begin to caramalise.

At this stage add the gram flour, turmeric, red chilli powder and the salt.

Once the mixture and dry and cooked through, take off the heat and cool.

Make small balls of dough and flatten at the edges in the shape of a small bowl. Place some of the filling in the center and fold in the edges to make a round ball.

Roll into a small circle.  Repeat the process to make kachoris.

Heat oil in a pan and fry the kachoris in the oil till crisp and golden.

I like them with green coriander chutney - eat them as you like it !

Comments

Popular Posts